Saturday, August 16, 2008
Music that moves me...
I was never that student who needed complete silence to study. There was always something playing in my tape player (yes, I had a tape player at one point), cd player, Ipod, or stereo when I was cramming to finish a paper or studying for a test at 3am. I don't know how well this helped me retain information but it kept my eyes open in the wee hours of the evening/morning. The same goes for when I'm creating a new collection or filling orders. As much as I actually love the sound of my workshop...the hammering, the hissing of the torch, and the tumbler rotating methodically, background music is the best accompaniment to mellow the sounds out. Depending on my mood, it could really be anything, from hip hop, classical, rock, to the 80's! And if it's the 80's, "You're the Best Around" from the Karate Kid soundtrack might take the cake. Highly nostalgic and highly motivating in the cheesiest way possible.

But when I need creative inspiration, I find dark, moody, and hauntingly beautiful tracks to do the trick. It's particularly a bonus when there are a lot of instruments, like acoustics, strings, and the piano. Needless to say, I've been listening to a lot of Radiohead over and over again and Kenna's Hell Bent. Just recently, however, I came across Portishead's "The Rip." Animator Nick Uff is the brilliance behind this video.

Check out a version done by Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood. Beautiful....

But for those of you that are more interested in my other music favorite, enjoy.
posted by tokicollection @ 12:46 PM  
2 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Contact
Stores
Press
  • Lucky Magazine
  • InStyle
  • Daily Candy
  • Audrey Magazine
  • Chicago Tribune
  • CS Magazine
Friends
Give
Archive



Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz