Wednesday, August 27, 2008
Porcelain on thee mind.....
Lately, porcelain has been on my mind. Why? I have no idea. Working with metals most of the time, it's nice to mix things up a bit and check out something outside of my world. So, this week it's porcelain. And what I found was not only beautiful pieces of art, but discovered some porcelain companies with a rich and interesting history.

Porzellan Manufaktur Nymphenburg has been handcrafting porcelains since 1747 "manu factum" which literally means entirely by hand. As their website states, "Each plate is turned by hand, each vase cast by hand, each ornament applied by hand – because the machine doesn't exist that is able to recreate the individuality that may be achieved by hand." Sounds like craftmanship at it's finest. Many of the skills required to create these pieces have been passed on generation to generation. The manufacturing process is quite extensive and for those who are interested visit their site.

Here are some pieces I'd like to have...now.
Oh, hello Mr. Hippo.



Nymphenburg also offers guided tours. Fun? I think so. Check out these photos of their workshop. Makes me want to hop on a plane to Munich.


Another company that caught my eye is Sargadelos, a porcelain factory in Coruna. So, naturally, after I visit Munich, I'll skip on over to Spain. This porcelain obsession is becoming a little expensive....I think I'll stick to admiring their sites, for now.
posted by tokicollection @ 9:32 PM  
1 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home
 
Contact
Stores
Press
  • Lucky Magazine
  • InStyle
  • Daily Candy
  • Audrey Magazine
  • Chicago Tribune
  • CS Magazine
Friends
Give
Archive



Your email address:


Powered by FeedBlitz